Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

Am Mittwoch, den 14.01.2009, 16:40 -0800 schrieb Joerg:

> Eagle is IMHO pretty good but it does have one major disadvantage: No
> hierarchy support. That pretty much restricts it to smaller projects. To
> my surprise Cadsoft has never picked up on suggestions to fix that,
> version 5 doesn't have it, maybe their program structure has hemmed them in.

OK, Eagle is one of the cheapest commercial programs, there are much
more expensive Tools available, for more than 10000$. These tools must
have some benefits. Indeed my impression was that not many professionals
uses Eagle, indeed I was surprised that you are using it.

I have worked only with Eagle 4.x for a short time years ago at
university. I heard that 5.x has not much improvements. Some people say
that it is good enough and that Cadsoft prefers to earn some money
without spending much effort in improvement. Eagle is popular because it
has a limited edition which is available without costs, and works for
Windows and Linux.

> Yeah, but: In medical electronics we listen very, very carefully to
> cardiologists when they talk about competitor gear. This is not to copy,
> but so we can continually optimize and improve our own products.
> Companies that do not engage in such listening tend not to last very
> long in the marketplace. It is really important to know what other
> groups or organization do wrong and what they do right. And most of all,
> to find out why that is the case.

Yes, I fully agree. I am interested how KiCad and other commercial Tools
do their work. And I think many people on this list are.

But I can understand that developers, who has spend very much work in
the gEDA tools feel bad when someone writes something like "My tool does
this much better. I do not really want to use your tool, but I strongly
advice you to do it the same way."

Sometimes it's not easy to find the right wording.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski