Re: gEDA-user: merge multi symbol components

On Jul 23, 2009, at 8:51 PM, Joerg wrote:

> Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:00:01 -0400, John Doty wrote:
>>
>>> But the idea
>>> that computers can actually automate your workflow has been lost
>>> in the
>>> "personal computer" era. The strength of gEDA is that you *can*
>>> automate
>>> it:
>>
>> You have praised this many times before. Ironically, one of the
>> weaknesses of gEDA is a lack of scriptability. Even pcb with all its
>> actions is only half way there.
>>

> That was my impression as well. After kicking the tires for a while
> and
> finding important things it cannot do which my current CAD can do,
> most
> of the answers I received were along the lines of  "can't do that
> right
> now", "needs a fork", "give some money, maybe someone will code
> this in"
> and so on.
>
> So I've hung up on gEDA for now. But this doesn't mean I won't check
> back in regularly because the idea of open source CAD is great.

I suspect you'll never like gEDA. It's a toolkit, like TeX and all
its supporting tools (which include the usual suspects like make and
AWK). You apparently want a monolithic, manually operated tool like
Word (ugh), not a scriptable kit.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx