Re: gEDA-user: merge multi symbol components

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM, DJ Delorie<dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Well, you have to *use* its scriptability, and not fight against it.
>
> I don't consider it "scriptable" unless you can invoke the script from
> within the tool and have it operate on the live data.  You should be
> able to, for example, right-click on a menu button and edit the script
> it will run, then left-click on it to run it.

I don't really care whether scripting functionality is built in the
tool or is not, as long as it seamlessly integrates with it. When the
script modifies a design file the tool should update any views of it
(I guess that's what you meant by "operate on the live data").

Another issue is what we consider "scripting". For me, scripting is
only good for automating the flow, glueing existing functions together
so that the user's productivity increases. This is in opposition to
plumbing, adding features to the tool, which should be there in first
place, because it decreases productivity.

>> A specialized internal language is a poor way to get scriptability.
>
> I don't consider pcb's actions "scripts", more of a batch file.
> However, you have to *start* with a solid collection of verbs and
> nouns before you can build a scripting system around it.

On the gschem side I really like the idea of libgeda. IMHO everything
that touches user's data should go there and be wrapped with a clean
API. Tools like gschem, netlisters, importers etc should only issue
commands/listen to libgeda.

Cheers,
-r.