Re: gEDA-user: merge multi symbol components

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Well, you have to *use* its scriptability, and not fight against it.
>>

> I don't consider it "scriptable" unless you can invoke the script from
> within the tool and have it operate on the live data.
Different kind of scriptabilty than I'm talking about. The question is:
can a scripting program like "make" practically operate the tool, or is
a human operator required? Power tool versus hand cranked tool.

Layout is necessarily a sore spot here, as it requires human input. So,
barring improvements in AI technology, it's necessarily a barrier to
scriptability. Can't complain there.

But design and layout are not all there is. Documentation, simulation,
device drivers, etc., etc. It's a real time saver to have the builds of
all of these things automated. Check the files out from the revision
control system, then "make" to get all of the project data products:
printable graphics, text, programs, etc. gEDA's strength is that it
works extremely well in this kind of approach: it doesn't unnecessarily
demand human input, and it plays well with other power tools.

>  You should be
> able to, for example, right-click on a menu button and edit the script
> it will run, then left-click on it to run it.

No buttons, no clicks. Just text. That's scripting.

>>> Even pcb with all its actions is only half way there.
>>>
>> A specialized internal language is a poor way to get scriptability.
>>

> I don't consider pcb's actions "scripts", more of a batch file.
> However, you have to *start* with a solid collection of verbs and
> nouns before you can build a scripting system around it.

John Doty      Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx