Re: gEDA-user: gschem with cairo rendering

>> Which is likely true in my case.  I've done the rendering portion of
>> the HID first, and it takes it nearly a minute to render tut1.pcb.
>> It's likely I can speed that up some, but only some; I don't expect
>> to ever get it below, say, five seconds, on this hardware.
> Good heavens, what do you have in that SS20, a single SM30?

cpu0 at mainbus0: RT620/625 @ 125 MHz, on-chip FPU
cpu0: 256K byte write-back, 64 bytes/line, sw flush: cache enabled

I don't know what that is in SMxx terms.

> I've had sixty shell users doing mail, usenet, etc on a well-equipped
> SS20 with good responsiveness.  I can't imagine simply drawing a PCB
> layout to the display could really take five seconds.

There's a delay of at least a few seconds before it even _starts_
drawing; PCB must be doing _something_ piggish, but I don't yet have
any idea what.  It's clearly not _just_ the drawing that's taking all
that time.

It strikes me as slow too.  I don't know why it is so slow; I need to
find out, but "first make it work, then make it better".  I've got lots
of speculation, but so far it's only speculation.  There are at least
four processes involved, for example; I speculate that it's context
switching too much, but until I measure I won't know whether it's worth
putting any effort into cutting down on context switches.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx