Re: gEDA-user: Serious discussion on the proper selection of a language

On Sep 28, 2005, at 12:15 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
   He's a dangerous sort.  All porn humor aside, though, I'd love to
see the generic ability to embed PNG images in PCB files.  That'd be
extremely useful for things like logos.

No, what you want is to be able to import EPS files. Much more realistic and efficient.

Hmm...I'm not sure I'd agree with that assertion, but either way I'd be happy to get that functionality.

Why do you say EPS would be more realistic and efficient? I'd assume it wouldn't be, as you can get a straight bitmap out of something like libpng with minimal effort, while you'd need to interpret the PostScript and render it to a bitmap which involves a metric buttload of work. The scaling benefits would be huge, but there's still all the effort involved in PS interpretation and rendering.

  What are your thoughts on this?

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire "You'll have to be a lot more specific than 'that
Cape Coral, FL girl last night.'" -Ted McFadden