Re: gEDA-user: next PCB release - 1.99za vs 4.0

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 14:49:02 +0900
timecop <timecop@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most places handle this with the "assembly" layer.
> Of course, this wouldn't be part of DRC, but you'd have to be blind
> put stuff overlapping assembly layers and not see it right away.

Imagine having to make a change to the layout that requires moving a bunch of components:  you move parts around, put this transistor over there, move a capacitor over there, temporarily shift one IC underneath another IC, move a group of resistors off the board entirely...  so on and on as you revise the layout.  I can't count the number of times I've done stuff like this.

When you finally get the layout back into a sane state, you pack it in for the day - except you don't notice that you forgot to move that one IC back out from under the other.  Maybe you're tired, maybe the board just has a metric assload of parts, maybe you're pressed for time.  Who knows?

Everyone makes mistakes.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."