Re: gEDA-user: the uber-scope (was: wishful UI)

Stefan Salewski wrote:
Indeed I was hoping for some support during the last two years, but
there was not much interest, some people with very limited skills in
electronics area contacted me, hoping for a very cheap device. But of
course I can not build large quantities, so costs can not be smaller
than similar commercial tools from china, so people are disappointed. I
do understand that.
I'm well aware (by now ;-) that building something from scratch is not the cheapo route
in many cases.
No, currently I do not need help, I have done schematics and layout very
carefully, learned VHDL, started design of a GTK GUI.
I'd help you if you used FLTK instead (and C++), actually I already got something called 'flscope' - it would need to be dual license though - well I can actually give you some code
without mentioning it's from me or whatever - or BSD.
That application uses 2 threads: one for the GUI and device control, the other to read and store the data stream. Connection to a particular device is designed modular.

My personal interest in a homemade one would be something like a mainframe scope: slot cards of potentially different type that communicate with the controller and memory board via a highspeed bus, basically supplying a steady stream of time coded samples. The master board sends a clock signal to all signal converters and info like settings
and start/stop.
For very fast signals, one could of course include local memory on a slot and transfer
data in bursts.
This should all be no problem with a bus like PXI (PCI eXtension for Instrumentation), but I wouldn't use copper - I'd like to have a fiber bus for electrical insulation and floating channels, so the power supply alone determines rated voltage (5kV - 20kV ?)
Should I really manage to burn a slot, 500-1000€ evaporate and not 10000.
(an analog fiber connection from an active probe to the digitizer slot would be
cool as well)
 And I wrote my own
USB firmware some years ago. Currently I am doing some final checking of
schematics and layout, with minimal modifications. I indent to order
parts and two PCB prototype boards in harvest and intend soldering the
first prototype before end of this year. If that prototype works, than
there may be again room for support, for example for optimizing the VHDL
code, board firmware and communication with the PC, and finally
optimizing the user interface.
VHDL - thats specs for a silicon compiler, right? - so you are using ASICs in
"hobby"-project?
I will tell on my homepage and on this list when there is the first
working prototype -- hopefully before the end of this year.