Re: gEDA-user: why separate xgsch2pcb?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:56:42 +0000
Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 13:44 -0600, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:
>
> > No, I started with an empty layout.  I assumed the import function would
> > create the usual collection of footprints the way gsch2pcb does, after
> > which I would have done Select->Disperse All... (and then lay out the
> > board from there).
>
> As a work-around for now, make an empty layuot, name it (Edit->Edit name
> of->Layout), and save it. Then run the Import action.

That solves the segfault but introduces a new error.

As directed, I started PCB, named it "test", and saved the empty layout to "test.pcb".

I then copied one of my known good schematics into the same directory as the
empty layout, and named it "test.sch".

When I "import schematic", a one-line message appears in the log window
indicating that rats can't be added because no netlist has been loaded,
nothing visible happens to the empty layout, and this appears on the
controlling terminal:

vanessa@rainbird ~ $ pcb
Failed to read pcblf scm file [/usr/share/gEDA/scheme/gnet-pcblf.scm]
Backtrace:
In current input:
   1: 0* (pcblf "/tmp/pcb.XX3Wyuoz/gnetlist_output")

<unnamed port>:1:1: In expression (pcblf "/tmp/pcb.XX3Wyuoz/gnetlist_output"):
<unnamed port>:1:1: Unbound variable: pcblf
Could not open actions file "/tmp/pcb.XX3Wyuoz/gnetlist_output".

At this point I have an empty layout and PCB is waiting for me to do something
with it (i.e. it seems normal.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."