Re: gEDA-user: I need to open and print a PCB created in ExpressPCB:What are my options?

Peter Clifton wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 21:03 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
I agree 100% here...I actually find through-hole soldering to be
more difficult and tedious than SMT now. All but the very tiniest
SMT parts can be soldered with a quality iron.
Hey, *I* can solder even the tiniest ones. You get your challenge
board working yet? ;-)

I just built one... on 01005 disappeared with a "ping" of my tweezers (the tips of which actually dwarfed the component).

The second I nearly got soldered right - but was too much of a
perfectionist - and tried to re-orient it, eventually breaking the end
contacts off. Oh.. and I bet it didn't like its time being drowned in a
ball of solder and stuck to my iron either.

Still.. I cheated anyway, was using a x20 Binary microscope, x40
sometimes (although that is just too magnified to see what you're doing
in context - burn marks on thumb to prove it!).

What diameter solder wire do people use? I was using a bent, pointy
metcal iron with an 0.5mm ish tip, and 0.5mm solder wire. (Some lead,
tin and copper alloy). I found that the solder balls up on the end of
the wire to the point where it can dwarf an 0402's contact pad.

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,
University of Cambridge,
9, JJ Thomson Avenue,
Cambridge
CB3 0FA

I used 0.020" Kester 331 solder with a 2331ZX flux pen and a Metcal STTC 099 (0.060" bent chisel) soldering iron tip. It worked great.

Darrell Harmon