Re: gEDA-user: Re: I need to open and print a PCB created in ExpressPCB:What are my options?

On Jan 31, 2007, at 7:55 AM, Jeremy Pedersen wrote:
I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Whatever the case, I still have to learn how to use gEDA (one of the reasons I started this thread) and learn how to solder normal thru-hole components. This should be useful to me if and when I branch out into SMT components. :-)

When the time for SMT comes, just keep in mind the #1 problem people have with SMT soldering: People tend to think it's just like through-hole soldering, but without the hole and wire. This is not the case; it is a whole different feel. Through-hole soldering experience is valuable when doing SMT soldering, but there is a learning curve involved.

Well perhaps that's not the #1 problem...I think it's #2. #1 is the automatic fear of SMT, the assumption that "it's harder" because the parts are smaller. That's a load of bull. Many (most?) people find that it's actually easier.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL