Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> But I can only say it from the position of a user, not as a
>> programmer because that's the domain of the experts here.
>
> Back in 1969, I was taught that the purpose of Fortran was to erase
> this distinction, putting the power of the computer into the hands of
> the those who really understand the problems to be solved. I remain
> of the opinion that this is a destructive distinction to make. This
> tradition is alive and well in programming languages like Perl and
> Python (and Fortran is still used by many scientists).

That was probably when you studied for your degree. We were taught the
same. Back then we had much more time to be a generalist than today. For
example when the transmission of my room mate's car croaked we rolled up
the sleeves, removed it from underneath the car, hauled it onto the
kitchen table and fixed it. Nowadays I'd leave that to an auto repair
place because I do not have the time. Once I retire, different story.
Then I'll probably also pick up programming again, but not now (unless I
have to). Right now I network with a SW guy who lives less than two
miles from here. If I did all that myself on top of the other work I
guess I would no longer be married ...

> gEDA is part of this tradition. If, instead, you see yourself as the
> sort of "user" who is merely a consumer of programming, I think gEDA
> will never satisfy you. I also believe that the future of mixed-
> signal engineering will belong to those who can combine skills in
> applied physics with programming, as software moves into areas
> traditionally handled by circuits, and the complexity of designs
> exceeds the capacity of humans to handle without computer assistance.

Not with the kind of mixed signal work I do. I must be (and I am) able
to prescribe an architecture for DSP code but the coding is farmed out.
Can't do it all alone. Or as our drill sergeant used to say, the day has
24 hours, and then there is the night ;-)

But you are right, gEDA may not be for me. When it comes to CAD all I
need is decent schematic entry and correct netlist generation. It is a
tool for me, not a project in and of itself.

Feedback I give in groups like this is meant to relay to the program
architects how the other end of the line works. If the gEDA goal is to
achieve some kind of penetration into the industrial world such input
will be very important. If that is not the goal then it will not be
important.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/