Re: gEDA-user: Power (and other non-graphical) pins

John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> Feedback I give in groups like this is meant to relay to the program
>> architects how the other end of the line works.
>
> Ah, but the architects also are users. They know how the other ends
> of their lines work.

If they know every corner of all companies that design electronics I'll
stop :-)

>> If the gEDA goal is to
>> achieve some kind of penetration into the industrial world such input
>> will be very important.
>
> I don't speak for the big guns (I'm only a minor developer), but I
> perceive your corner of the industrial world as a dead end for EDA.

You might be right. But not for the industry, no dead end at all.
However, I have heard grumblings from within EDA companies that it is
becoming tougher and tougher to make money. One of them is actually more
active in telco/data/RF markets now (using the CAD system they designed).

> The future will belong to toolkits that can automate more of the
> design process, not merely assist in drafting circuits. The future
> will belong to designers who are equally comfortable with programming
> and drafting. ...

Ok, here we will probably always be of different opinion.

>            ... We've all used the other tools and seen how they
> frustrate automation.

For automation we use SCADA-type tools. Reduces the programming efforts
to a bare minimum and most of all, it works.

>> If that is not the goal then it will not be
>> important.
>
> The kinds of tools you seem to want already exist, and it is not
> gEDA's job to duplicate them. You say you find them wanting. You will
> always find them wanting: that's the inevitable plight of a demanding
> software consumer. But if you master a toolkit you can fly free...
>
> Hurray for gEDA! Thanks, especially, Ales.

Indeed. He has put a lot of work into this and created a remarkable product.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.